Monday, February 1, 2010

Circular Circles!

In our class, we are studying geometry, and
we are learning about circles.
 


Mrs. Yollis' necklace was made of CIRCLES.


The playground had many CIRCLES. 

     *     *     *     *     *

CIRCLE VOCABULARY 




We  learned that circles have a center point. It is the same distance from anywhere on the circle.  

In addition, we  learned that a line segment drawn from the center point to the outside edge of the circle is a radius.


The diameter is a line segment. It passes through the center and has endpoints on the circle.



     *     *     *     *     *
After the vocabulary lesson, Mrs. Yollis' students were ready to make their own CIRCLES.


Chalk was tied to a piece of yarn. The yarn was the RADIUS. 
A student sat in the CENTER. 


Keeping the RADIUS tight,
the chalk was dragged around the CENTER creating a CIRCLE!.

 

It was hard to keep the chalk the same distance from the CENTER. 



Finally, we had a beautiful CIRCLE.  




Screech, our local hawk, was too busy hunting to be interested in circles.


 

After the class circle was drawn, 
students broke into teams to create their own CIRCLEs.


 

  

One group used the CENTER from the class CIRCLE.

Now there were two CONCENTRIC CIRCLES!




 

 


 

After the CIRCLES were made, it was time to measure the RADIUS and DIAMETER.

The DIAMETER of this CIRCLE was 6 feet.

We divided the DIAMETER in half and got a  RADIUS of 3 feet.

 

Here we used a benchmark unit of 1 yard to predict the DIAMETER. 



Some students marked off their guess using giant steps. 



Each team's circle had a different radius, and of course, a different diameter!

     *     *     *     *     *
Some students confuse a circle and a sphere.
A circle is 2-dimensional.
A sphere is 3-dimensional.

Here is a quiz. Do you know the difference?
Circle or Sphere? on PhotoPeach



*     *     *     *     *

How do you like our circles? 
What circles can you find around your house?

Try measuring the radius of a circle you find at home and let us know what the measurement was.

Remember, to find the diameter, double the radius!

13 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    I almost got every answer right! I missed the one that said,what about these balls because I got confused with circles and said the answer was circles. By the way you spelled yucky wrong on yucky circle for the eyeball answer.

    Your student,
    Richie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    The quiz was a little tricky, and I got confused on the clock face. The video was just like the Sport Spirt Day one. Would you get confused in you did not publish that and you were a kid?

    It was fun to make a big circle like that. I wonder if we can make a bigger one.


    From,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Richie,

    Thanks so much for letting me know about the spelling mistake I made in the quiz. I appreciate knowing those types of errors so I can fix them. :-)

    Glad you enjoyed the quiz. Try it again and get them all correct!

    @ Sydney,

    Glad you enjoyed the quiz and only missed one. Richie said he missed one when he took it. I notice that circles and spheres are confusing sometimes as students learn about geometry.

    Thanks for a great comment!

    From,
    Mrs. Yollis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    I loved the quiz and on the quiz I got 100%. Also, in my room I have a sphere and it is a basketball, and there is a circle in my dining room. The circle in my dining room is a clock face.

    I hope we can make another circle like that soon.

    Your friend,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs Yollis' Class,

    Your circle activies sound like a lot of fun. It is great to be able to go outside to learn and do "hands on" activities!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog.

    We started school yesterday and everyone is very excited to be in 2KM.

    We all had a great summer and loved sharing our news with our friends.

    Today, we looked at our class blog and at your blog too! All the students look forward to learning more about blogging this year and getting to know your class!

    From your friends in 2KM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. Yollis' Class,

    I never knew that you were studying geometry. It happens to be that my class is studying geometry too! We just learned about circles, diameters, radii, and chords. I hope that you are enjoying geometry as much as we are!

    Sincerely,
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Miss McGeady,

    We love that you are back at school and ready to blog. We are too!

    Your friends,
    Mrs. Yollis and students

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Jerry,

    Thanks for a great comment about geometry. The class was impressed with you because you knew that the plural of radius is radii! (Third graders really like saying radii. For example, "The diameter of a circle is really just two radii.")

    Thanks again for a great comment! Next time, see if you can insert a little HTML code! :-)

    From,
    Mrs. Yollis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mrs Yollis

    I'm very impressed with your PhotoPeach quiz and I also like the whale watching PhotoPeach created by your pupil. I've only recently found out about this lovely tool and it really is great.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Janet,

    Thanks for taking the time to comment about our slide show posts. We appreciate that.

    PhotoPeach is a quick, yet very effective way to share photos and text. I also like the music option. Sometimes that can really improve the show.

    I see you are from a region in Italy called Abruzzo! We just read a story called The Mysterious Giant of Barletta. We enjoyed locating Italy on the map, listening to some Italian opera, and learning some Italian phrases.



    :-)
    Arrivederci,
    Mrs. Yollis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    I liked the quiz a lot! I got 100%. I admired how you made the first globe turn from black and white to color.

    My favorite question was the one with the clock face on the rug because it was tricky. I got it at the three second mark. What was your favorite question?

    Sincerely,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Ben,

    Thanks for leaving a comment...I notice you are quite proficient with the HTML code!

    You asked which circle or sphere was my favorite. I LOVE the photo of the basketball hoop (circle) because the winter sky and the tree look pretty behind the circle.

    What made the clock rug photo tricky for you?

    From,
    Mrs. Yollis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs, Yollis:

    Hi, my name is Meghan Wallacee and I watched was assigned to read your blog for my EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama.

    It looks like you all had a great time drawing circles! I know that I didn't start learning geometry until my 9th grade year! So that makes you all way ahead of the curve! I also loved the quiz and only missed one, I didn't realize I was supposed to click on my answers at first.

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis