Tuesday, June 16, 2009

See a Dumbo Rat and a Red-tailed Hawk

By Matthew and Alasia

On Monday, Wildlife Experience came with two very exciting animals.

First, came the red-tailed hawk.


When the red-tailed hawk is born, it has a brown tail until it is one year old. When the bird grows, its tail feathers turn a rusty red color, and that’s how it got its name.



Did you know that a hawk can see eight times better than our eyes? We can see the colors of the rainbow, but the red-tailed hawk can see in ultra-violet! That ability helps it see things that it wants to eat.

Next, the Dumbo rat came out of its cage.


The Dumbo rat got its name from its big ears. Did you know that rats can have 21 babies every 28 days? Rats usually lives up to 3 years, and they have a prehensile tail. That means a rat can use its tail to hang on.



If you’re looking for a good pet, you might want to try the rat. It only costs $3.00 at the pet store, and a rat is capable of eating human food. Just don’t give the rat chocolate or candy! If you feel lonely while you’re doing your homework, put the rat on your shoulder and you don’t have to worry about it falling off.

Do you have any new facts to add about the red-tailed hawk or the Dumbo rat?

How did you like the presentation?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Matthew and Alasia,

    Wow! Once again an amazing visit from Wildlife Experience! The Red-tailed hawk was FANTASTIC! The Dumbo rat was cool, but I wouldn't want one as a pet. I wouldn't want a rat in my house because I have a dog. My cousin had one too, he also had a hamster. Somehow, his dog opened his hamster's cage and ATE him! Do you want a Dumbo rat for a pet?
    Great post,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yollis,
    I would really like to have a rat, but alas, my mom doesn't want me to get one so I won't be able to.

    This blog is outstanding!

    Your blogging buddy,
    Jonah

    @Sammy,
    You asked in your comment if Matthew or Alasia wanted a dumbo rat. Even though you asked them, I going to tell you my answer. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dumbo rats are wonderfully affectionate, cheeky and clever.

    I have two, Popcorn and Ada. See them here ...

    http://velvetpeach.blogspot.com/

    Keep blogging
    Peach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs.Yollis,

    I think that was fantastic how you had a red tailed hawk and a dumbo rat come into your class!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs.Yollis,

    I think that was fantastic how you had a red tailed hawk and a dumbo rat come into your class!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis