Monday, August 31, 2015

Rounding Numbers :: Video Tutorial

In class, we have been working on rounding numbers!  
Here are the rules for rounding:

Radical Rounding Rules!


1. Underline the place value position to which you are rounding.

2. Write which two tens or two hundreds the number is between.

3. Draw an arrow to the neighbor on the right.

4. Think:  ♬ ♫  "If the neighbor next door is 5 or more, round up, round up!" ♫ ♬ 
     (If the neighbor is a 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 round up. If the neighbor is a 4, 3, 2, 1, or 0 round down.)


5. If it's not 5 or more, round down!

6. Circle the correct estimate/answer.


Here is a video tutorial we made last year to demonstrate the rules for rounding!


Watch the slide show and try the quiz to practice 
your rounding skills!



Rounding Numbers! on PhotoPeach

Rounding Numbers! on PhotoPeach 





************
How did you do on the rounding quiz?

How about asking a rounding question
 in your comment?

Once others write comments, look for question you can answer!

2 comments:

  1. I did pretty well on the rounding quiz. My score was probably 95% because most of the problems were rounding tens, hundreds, and thousands.

    For example, you round 85 to the closest ten or 90, 371 to the closest hundred or 400, and 3,297 to the closest thousand or 3,000. 85 is between two tens, 80 and 90. The ones in 85 is five, so you round up to 90. 371 is between 300 and 400. The neighbor is 71, which is higher than 50, so you round up to 400.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    Man! I remember that video! I don't remember my score, but I probably did well. Currently I am in fifth grade and we did rounding two weeks ago. Yesterday and Today, we are learning expressions.

    Here is a tough one: What is the nearest hundred in 4,351,120?

    If you look on the comment above me, you will see that this person gave examples. It really helped me because, one, I went to this as a learning tool, two, once I had figured out how to do it, I went back to this as a reference.

    See if you can beat my question and give me a hard one!


    Sincerely,

    ★Pe★er★

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis