Friday, January 16, 2009

Circling the Sun

By Lexi

Mrs. Yollis’ class was talking about how the Earth orbits, or goes around, the sun while spinning itself!


That topic interested me, so I made a model at home to help inform the class about how this system works. I researched using books and the Science links on Mrs. Yollis’ Website.



Here is what I have learned. The sun is approximately 4 billion years old and is a star made of gas. In fact, it is made up of 70% hydrogen and 28% helium. The Earth is one of eight planets that make up the Solar System. It takes a year, or 365 days, for the Earth to travel around the sun.

On my model, the Earth is colored blue and green. Blue stands for the oceans, and the green is for the continents. There are seven continents on our planet: North America, South America, Asia, Europe, Antarctica, Africa, and Australia. I made the sun small so it looks far away.

I love the solar system, and I hope you do too!

9 comments:

  1. Dear Lexi,
    That is so cool that you know so much about the solar system! Thank you for sharing all that you know :)
    Your sister,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lexi,
    You did a great job on your post! Everyone will enjoy learning about the sun and our voyage around it. Nice hyperlink choices!

    I like to learn about new things that interest me, too. I use books and the Internet just like you did. After reading your post I was wondering something. I wonder how big the sun really is?

    Maybe I'll research that and post it here. Or, may you or one of our other readers will.
    :-)

    Thanks for all your hard work!
    Mrs. Yollis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexi,
    Wow! I am so impressed by all the research you have done! This is very interesting. I love the fact that you are learning so much about the solar system and the internet at the same time. I can't wait to read more!
    Love,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lexi,

    Great job! I am very proud of you. I learned a lot about the solar system.

    Love,

    DdoubleD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lexi,

    I love your post!I never knew that the sun was four billion years old!
    Thanks for the information!

    Your friend,
    Emily:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Class,
    I researched the sun and found out it is 1,390,000 (one million, three hundred ninety thousand) kilometers in diameter!

    Love,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lexi,

    I love your post! Your picture was amazing!



    Your friend,
    Hayley (6 years old)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mrs Yollis' class!

    We are learning about space in our class too.
    Did you know that one full year on Neptune is 60,190 earth days and that it would take 164 earth years to have one orbit! I found that very interesting.

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Julia,

    I didn't know that, and I was the one who wrote the post! Thanks for the information!


    Best regards,
    Lexi

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis