Friday, August 28, 2015

Place Value Places!

In class, we have been reading about the Three Little Pigs. So far, we have read two books about them. First, we read The Three Little Pigs by Mark Teague.  



Today, we read The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs! It was a very funny book told for the point-of-view, or perspective, of the wolf. In both stories, the pigs build homes or dwellings. For math, we built our own structures using ones, tens, and hundreds. It was a fun way to practice place value!


All Photos by Mrs. Yollis

Here is Mrs. Yollis' sample. 

On the left side of the card is each part of the house and the number of units used. (Example: 20 units were used on the roof, one hundred on the front.) On the right side of the card are three sentences. The first sentence describes the house. The second sentence tells how many hundreds, tens, and ones were used. The third sentence tells wheather the total number of units was odd or even. 







Which dwelling do you like the most and why? 

What is the value? Is it odd or even? 



 William's  boat house (308 units)



  Hailey's one-story house (154 units)





Sawyer's mansion (505 units)




  Ari's ordinary house (274 units)





  Abigail's modern house (287 units)





  Angelique's house (449 units)







  Bailey's two-story house (394 units)






  Aaron's enormous skyscraper (400 units)




Kostaki's original modern (293 units) 






Kate's ordinary house (188 units) 





Stella's ordinary house (164 units) 







                       Rayhan's  ordinary house (234 units)





Michael's pool house (484 units)






Jock's house   (324 units) 





Andrew's skyscraper (387 units) 







Maddie's rustic modern with chandelier  (317 units) 






Keya's pretty house (147 units) 







Ana's barn (158 units) 





Lily's desert dwelling (241 units) 






Heloise's barn  (271 units) 






Karissa's unusual house (200 units) 









Abby's  barn (246 units) 




One house was quite complicated, and it took three people to calculate the grand total. Way to persevere! 



Some structures are still under construction and will be published soon!



What was the value of your house? Was it odd or even?

Whose dwellings did you like? 
What were the values? Were they odd or even

14 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Yollis,

    I can see you are working on the three little pigs story. I actually don't remember reading the Three Little Pigs, but it does look really fun. Making a house out of base ten blocks also seems cool. I think you were a great teacher, and I hope your students like you too.

    Your former student,
    Nic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Nic,

      How nice to get a comment from you! Welcome back! I hope that you will always leave us comments.

      You mentioned that you don't remember reading The 3 Little Pigs in here. That is because we did not do this project! I learned about if from Mrs. Tulbure and so I tried it. What kind of a house would you build?

      Your proud former teacher,
      Mrs. Y♥llis

      Delete
    2. @ Nic,

      How nice to get a comment from you! Welcome back! I hope that you will always leave us comments.

      You mentioned that you don't remember reading The 3 Little Pigs in here. That is because we did not do this project! I learned about if from Mrs. Tulbure and so I tried it. What kind of a house would you build?

      Your proud former teacher,
      Mrs. Y♥llis

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous idea! I can't wait to use this with my Preps(first year at school) next week. It's been a while since I read your blog but it is always full of GREAT ideas. Thanks!
    From Mrs Price from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs. Price,

      I got the idea from a colleague, and she got it from Pinterest! I'm happy you are back reading our blog, and I hope we can learn together in the future!

      ~Mrs. Y♥llis

      Delete
  3. My house has an even amount of blocks. It has 308 blocks. I also liked Maddie's and Aaron's.

    Thank you,

    Will

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. Yollis and class,

    What a wonderful way to integrate math and literature! I really enjoyed seeing all of your unique structures, from ordinary houses to mansions to skyscrapers!

    In addition to showcasing your math skills, I also see that you are all very creative in your designs. It is certainly difficult to select a favorite! One project I am particularly partial to is the one that was so complicated that it took three of you to calculate the total! I love teamwork!

    Well done, everyone!
    I look forward to seeing more projects here on the blog!

    All the best,
    Mrs. Ranney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs. Ranney,

      You always leave such quality comments chocked full of high-level vocabulary. Thank you!

      I got this idea from Ms. Tulbure who found it on Pinterest. Do you ever use that site? I'm starting to use it more as I see real value.

      Yes, William's was so tough we had to run the calculations over and over. Perseverance won in the end!

      Looking forward to seeing you soon!

      Warmly,
      Mrs. Y♥llis

      Delete
  5. Dear Yollis,

    My house had 387 units which is an odd number. I liked Angelique's house because it looked like there was a big robot squid on top of it. Her house had 449 units - an odd number just like mine!

    Love,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    The value of my house is 147 units and it is an odd number.

    I like Kate's dwelling because she put a lot of ones on the roof of her house. Her value is 188 units. Kate's house is even because it ends in an eight.

    Your student,
    Keya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs. Yollis' and class,

    I really enjoyed seeing photos of your houses. I am impressed that the photos depict different types of houses, from ordinary to modern. My son Troy did not get to do this project when he had Mrs. Yollis, but maybe his brother will get to do it when he is in third grade next year.

    I hope your school year has been memorable and fascinating so far.

    Keep on calculating!

    Sincerely,
    A former student's mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs.Yollis,

    Your students did a wonderful job designing each structure. I liked how they used place value blocks to create their unique houses. Adding the calculations and explanations made this a complete learning experience!

    I have to mention how impressed I was with Maddie's chandelier. I'm sure that light will enable the little pig who lives there to read every day!

    Thanks for sharing what goes on inside your classroom. I'm going to share this idea with my third grade students!

    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Reeson

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Grandma Barb

    One of my favorite pictures is the squirrel on the fountain. I like the picture because he was laying down on his stomach. Another picture is the trees changing colors, it was beautiful. I like how the green grass makes the trees pop with colors.

    From,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear class mates,

    What are you going to be on Halloween? I'm going to be Hermione form the series Harry Potter. Are you excited for Friday? What is your favorite candy?


    Your class mate,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis